We are able to service the majority of Tissot watches
We are able to obtain most parts and seals for Tssot watches
History of Tissot watches
In 1853, Charles-Félicien Tissot, a gold case-fitter, and his son Charles-Émile, a watchmaker, joined forces to found the “Charles-Félicien Tissot & Son” assembly shop in Le Locle, Switzerland. The Tissot catalogue included a large range of pocket watches and pendant watches, mostly in gold, richly decorated or with complications. Their quality was widely recognised at national and international exhibitions as well as at chronometry competitions. During the 1900 World’s Fair, the famous actress Sarah Bernhardt bought an 18 carat gold pendant watch.
Mainly destined for export, Tissot watches were sold in the United States from 1853, and in the Russian Empire from 1858. Family ties were added to commercial ties when Charles Tissot, Charles-Émile’s son, moved to Moscow in 1885 to manage the branch his father had set up there, and started a family with a Russian woman. Until the beginning of the October Revolution in 1917, the Russian Empire was Tissot’s biggest market, where Tissot timepieces made it as far as the Tsar’s court.
In 1907, Charles Tissot had a factory built on Chemin de Tourelles, in Le Locle, where the company’s current headquarters are situated. Thanks to electrical motors, mechanical production was gradually adopted, enabling the serial production of meticulously-made watches. From the dawn of the 1910s, Tissot sold its first wristwatches for women, in the form of gold and platinum pieces set with diamonds. Next, Tissot created wristwatch models for men, well before the peak of this trend between the two world wars. While their aesthetic was influenced by current styles, such as Art Nouveau and then Art Deco, they stood out for their technical innovations, including the world’s first non-magnetic wristwatch. In 1917, Tissot started producing its own movements, becoming a manufacturing company. It was therefore able to propose high-quality watches at an affordable price.
In 1930, Tissot and Omega merged to strengthen their position and offer their customers a more complete range of products. This new entity, the SSIH (Société Suisse pour l’Industrie Horlogère), was the first Swiss watchmaking association. In 1933, Paul Tissot launched the Tissot Plan, a very innovative marketing action plan. The plan provided models selected for each market, systematic and targeted advertising campaigns, and free catalogues distributed to retailers. In addition, Tissot offered its customers a one-year guarantee, even in the case of an accident. Just like a woman’s wardrobe, which provided a different outfit for every time of day, the ladies’ collections were extremely varied, as the advertising slogan highlighted: ‘A young woman and 3 watches’. For example, models with leather straps were particularly suited for physical activity, while models with discreetly elegant cord bracelets were more suited to the professional world. As for models with gold bracelets, they went beautifully with evening gowns. For its male clientele, Tissot created chronograph and automatic watches and, in 1951, the Tissot Navigator, an iconic model.